Blue blood still spills

FILE PICTURE: A policeman walks out of the Madala hostel with bolt cutters. Picture: Alaister Russell

FILE PICTURE: A policeman walks out of the Madala hostel with bolt cutters. Picture: Alaister Russell

Yet another two police members have died in a bloody week for the South African Police Service.

Yesterday, acting North West police commissioner Major-General Lebeoana Tsumane reported in a statement two Mmabatho constables had died in what appeared to be a murder suicide.

Tsumane said the bodies of Constable Johannes Matladi, 37, and Constable Audrey Karele, 31, were found at Dibate village, a few kilometres away from the Mmabatho police station.

“It is understood that Constable Matladi was on duty yesterday when he visited his place of residence, apparently to grab food around lunchtime,” Tsumane said.

“When he was called on the police radio by his crew, he did not respond. He was traced to his residence where he had parked his official vehicle. After several phone calls, he did not respond, his colleagues looked through the windows, where he was seen lying on the floor.

“Preliminary investigations suggested one of the deceased may have shot the other before turning the gun [on himself].”

In another incident on Tuesday night, Captain Brian Adonis was on his way to work towards the Cape Town railway station when he was apparently surrounded and attacked by three unidentified males and two unidentified females, who robbed him of his cellphone.

“He sustained two stab wounds to his right shoulder and one to his left leg. He was later taken to a private city hospital,” said Western Cape police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk.

“The member managed to inflict bodily harm to one of the suspects during the attack and was rescued by a motorist. No arrest has been made as yet, and the investigation continues.”

This brings the number of police officials killed under various circumstances to eight – and at least three seriously wounded – this week alone.

In a misunderstanding between the police and The Citizen, it was reported a member in Athlone, Cape Town, was shot and killed, however he has fortunately survived the incident.

At Alexandra police station, Major Thomas Moetloe and three other people were gunned down by Constable Ronnie Masie, who was subsequently killed by the Tactical Response Team last week. –


today in print