CNS Reporter/Gilbert Motseo
1 minute read
8 Jun 2015
2:35 pm

Suspected robber knocked down by truck

CNS Reporter/Gilbert Motseo

A case of culpable homicide is under investigation after a man was knocked down by a truck when he allegedly attempted to steal a cellphone in Burgersfort, Limpopo.

The spot in Burgersfort, Limpopo where the alleged robber was knocked down by a truck. Pic: Steelberger News

Burgersfort police communication officer Constable Victoria Maluleke said a man was killed in a hit-and-run incident on Saturday at about 1pm and that it was uncertain what had led to incident, Steelburger News reported.

According to an eyewitness, the man believed to be in his late 20s was killed while trying to steal a cellphone from a motorist who had stopped at the traffic light next to the local taxi rank.

“The suspect grabbed a cellphone inside the car and tried to flee, but the driver reacted swiftly and gripped his hand. He also pulled the car window up that fastened his hand to prevent him from running away. When the traffic lights turned green, the motorist dragged him along. After a few metres, the motorist released his hand, and he fell on the tar road and was hit by an oncoming truck,” said the eyewitness.

The deceased was known for apparently terrorising locals by grabbing their handbags and cellphones at robots.

In a separate incident, a man believed to have stolen a scooter was hit by a car while fleeing on the N1 near Centurion, south of Pretoria, in April.

According to Betty Schrama of the Lyttelton Sector 4 community policing forum (CPF), the forum along with Lyttelton police were in pursuit of the man.

“The police were chasing the man, who was suspected of stealing an electric scooter in Elardus Park. In his hurry to escape, he ran on to the N1 highway southbound. The next moment, he was knocked over by a car,” Schrama said.

The impact shattered the windscreen of the car. ER24 spokesperson Russel Meiring said paramedics from another service treated the man next to the road before he was taken to hospital.

Caxton News Service