Steven Tau
1 minute read
8 Jun 2015
8:45 am

MTN shrugs off union’s secondary strike threat

Steven Tau

Cellphone company MTN was unfazed yesterday by the threat of a secondary strike.

FILE PICTURE: Members of the Communication Workers Union take part in a picket, 21 May 2015, outside the MTN offices in Fairland, Johannesburg. The union is demanding a ten percent salary increase, higher weekend and public holiday wages and that temporary staff are made permanent at the telecommunications company MTN. Picture: Alaister Russell

The Communication Workers Union (CWU) said it would issue notice of the planned action today to all companies linked to MTN. But MTN spokesperson Themba Nyati said yesterday the cellphone company was not concerned because this threat had been made since the strike started and staff attendance had been improving by the day.

“Our staff attendance rate is almost at 95%, and we expect more of our employees to report for duty on Monday. “Some of the employees who took part in the strike have been asking us whether they will be paid or not for the days they did not work, and we have made it clear the ‘no work no pay’ rule applies.

“They have indicated they will be returning to work because the longer you stay away from work, the more you stand to lose on your salary at the end of the month.” He reiterated that all the company’s call centres were now fully operational.

On Friday afternoon, the CWU said it had no option but to consider intensifying the industrial action. CWU’s sister unions and civil society would call for a boycott of MTN services.

Labour is demanding a 12% bonus pay and a 10% salary increase, while the employer is offering an 8% guaranteed bonus payable in two installments. The CWU also said MTN had breached the law by not paying its employees for work done on Sundays and public holidays, as prescribed.

MTN said a task team had been set up to look into payment for Sundays and public holidays in accordance with the provisions of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act.