ANC MP Makhosi Khoza has responded in a Facebook post to Minister of Police Fikile Mbalula, who says he reached out to her after Khoza was granted “extra security” by Parliament yesterday.
In this statement, Parliament yesterday said extra security would be provided for the KwaZulu-Natal MP.
The statement reads: “The security assessment confirmed that a security threat existed and that appropriate support must be provided to Dr Khoza.”
Her response today elaborates on what she describes as “failures” of the South African Police Service and Parliament. She mentions when her “nightmares” started, recounts what happened after she received the first death threats, and says her “only sin is defending the ANC mission, and not amoral (sic) leadership which is heading the ANC to extinction”.
Despite the Mbalula’s tweet last week saying his ministry was attending to Khoza’s security concerns, she said the police minister and Parliament only contacted her for the first time on Tuesday and gave her a “miraculous” case number when she did not open a case on Tuesday.
Khoza accused Mbalula of fuelling the threats. “He [Mbalula] also joined those who wanted to eliminate me and have me dismissed or expelled from the ANC for choosing to uphold not just the RSA constitution, but that of the ANC.”
The minister apparently accused her of not helping with the investigation, and referred to her as a “suicide bomber”.
“Instead of receiving assurance for protection the Minister of Police referred ANC MPs like myself suicide bombers and threatened them with expulsion should they vote in favour of a no confidence vote on the President. To me this explained why the death threats on my life and family were never taken seriously by the SAPS.
“When threats escalated to my children and I was given 21 days to live, I posted the threats on my Facebook wall. I lost faith in SAPS and Parliament. I chose not to die in silence,” she said.
Read her full post below:
The MP previously shared the texts she received in another Facebook post, which was shared by almost 2 400 people.
After multiple attempts, the minister’s office was not available for comment.