A Pretoria teenager suffered serious burn wounds when his shirt caught fire as he was helping a stranded woman with her car.
Annerie Du Plooy of the Hero Burn Foundation said Sean Smith, 16, was under sedation in Unitas Hospital in Centurion after the incident on Monday, the Rekord Centurion reported.
“He suffered burns of between 45 to 55 percent burns internally and externally.”
The boy’s shirt apparently became soaked in petrol and somehow caught fire as he was fiddling with the car’s engine in Eldoraigne.
Du Plooy said the boy could not be taken to a provincial hospital because there were no available hospital beds.
Sean was taken to the Unitas private hospital where he was required to pay a deposit of R40 000 as his family had no medical aid fund.
“Three generous and very kind donators have opened their hearts to by depositing money, leading up that amount.”
Du Plooy said the hospital had informed them that daily costs to treat the burns would be around R25 000 per day and a further undetermined amount of money, paid by the minute every second day for operating room procedures.
The incident happened while the teenager’s mother, Mé-Lissa, was out of the country. She only arrived back late on Tuesday afternoon.
The mother learned from friends and family who waited for her at the airport that her son was in hospital.
Du Plooy said that immediate treatment of the wounds over the next couple of days would cost about R1 million.
“That is why it is urgent that we get a bed at a provincial hospital with a burn unit.”
She asked the people of Pretoria to help cover the teenager’s hospital costs.
Click here for details on how to help the family through the Hero Burn Foundation.
– Caxton News Service