Police are sending out an urgent warning after the sudden rising frequency of hijacking incidents in Mindalore, Krugersdorp, in Gauteng.
People are urged to be more vigilant, as supposed hijackers are walking and driving around Krugersdorp for no apparent reason, Krugersdorp News reports.
“In the past few weeks there has been a number of hijackings that are of great concern to the management of the station in the area,” Krugersdorp police spokesperson Sergeant Tshepiso Mashale said.
She further said measures have been put in place to deploy more officers in the area to ensure the safety of the community.
The community is advised to take note of the following:
- Be aware of anything or anyone out of the ordinary.
- Lock all doors and close windows before driving off.
- Always be on the lookout for suspicious occupants in vehicles.
- Drive in the centre lane away from pedestrians.
- Avoid driving alone late at night.
- Never pick up hitchhikers – you never know who to trust.
- Don’t open your windows for hawkers along the roads and at traffic lights.
- Beware of unknown people informing you of a flat tyre.
Police urge the community to report any suspicious activity and to make a point of taking down the registration number of the vehicle and a description of the possible suspects.
“The Krugersdorp station commander Brigadier Baloyi is doing everything possible to have a safe and secure environment for the community,” she concluded.
– Caxton News Service