Protesting residents of Sebokeng and surrounding areas want answers now and not next year.
This is according to community leader Vusi Morris who confirmed that the protest action which lasted for the most of last week was suspended on Friday.
“Residents decided to suspend the protest following the intervention of Gauteng premier David Makhura.
“The premier sent a delegation on Saturday to come and look at the state in which most of our roads are in following the incomplete road construction work as well as other service delivery issues,” Morris said.
He said Makhura promised to go and address residents on Thursday.
“The protest is only suspended and should the premier not come back with satisfactory answers on Thursday, then we will take to the streets again.
“Residents have made it clear that they don’t want to hear any promises about next year or in December, but they want action now,” Morris said.
During last week’s protest, one bus was burnt while pupils were also barred from going to school.
The protest which started at Zone 6, spread to other areas such as Small Farms and Evaton.
Apart from the incomplete road construction issues raised by irate protesters, power outages is also another challenge faced by several residents, some of whom claimed to have been plunged into darkness for three consecutive days.
Meanwhile police spokesperson Tebogo Lephoto said the busy Golden Highway remained closed on Monday morning.
The road has been barricaded with rocks, rubble, tree branches and a barbed wire.
The premier’s office was not immediately available for firstname.lastname@example.org