There is no end in sight to the ongoing protests in Sebokeng and surrounding areas.
Residents have vowed to continue with their protest action until Gauteng premier David Makhura goes to them and address their problems in person.
Several roads have been barricaded with rocks and rubble for the better part of this week by protesters who are demanding answers to what they claim is unfinished construction work on several roads in the area.
Speaking to The Citizen on Thursday morning, community leader Vusi Morris said the incomplete road construction work had inconvenienced locals.
“Every morning, there is always traffic congestion, while some residents are also finding it difficult to get out of and into their own yards.
“We have raised our grievances with the local municipality, the provincial government, including with the office of the President, but the responses have not been satisfactory and we are saying enough is enough, the time has come for government leaders to show real leadership in coming here to look and listen to our concerns and provide solutions,” Morris said.
Schooling in the area has also been affected, including pupil transport, due to the protest this week.
Morris said the protest action was also intensifying with taxi operators also deciding to take part in the protest.
“You can’t blame taxi drivers, because they also lose a lot of money because of the potholes….they are not even potholes, but swimming pools.
“As has been the case throughout this week, the protest will continue to spread to other areas,” Morris said.
The protest started at Zone 6, before spreading to Zone 7, Evaton and Small Farms, and according to Morris, it is likely to spread to Zone 13 and Zone 14 on Thursday night.
So far one bus was torched during the protest.
Police spokesperson Warrant Officer Aubrey Moopeloa said the windows of one school were also broken by protesters who allegedly pelted the building with stones. – firstname.lastname@example.org