CNS Reporter
2 minute read
15 Apr 2016
12:34 pm

KZN taxi boss gunned down

CNS Reporter

The deceased, Vinesh Singh, 50, was killed in what is believed to be ongoing tensions over illegal operators in the area.

NSTA chairman Naseer Khan, left and vice chairman Vinesh Singh. Singh was brutally slain early on Friday morning

KwaZulu-Natal police have launched a manhunt after the Northern Suburbs Taxi Association (NSTA) vice-chairman was shot and killed on Friday.

The deceased, Vinesh Singh, 50, was killed in what is believed to be ongoing tensions over illegal operators in the area, Public Eye Maritzburg reported.

Residents who were awakened by the sound of gunshots ringing out said they had been terrified to see what was going on. Some said they immediately called the police and emergency services and only upon their arrival did they go out to ascertain what had occurred.

“It was scary. We just heard gunshots. We didn’t know if they were shooting at our houses or what was really going on,” said the one resident, who was too scared to be named

Police spokesperson Major Thulani Zwane said Singh proceeded to Bombay Road to fetch the driver of his taxi. Whilst parked outside the house waiting for the driver, an unknown male approached the white Toyota bakkie that the deceased was seated in and immediately opened fire.

“Singh sustained fourteen gunshot wounds to his body. Two to  the chest, two to the stomach, two to the lower back, four to the buttocks, one to the right side finger, one under the right  armpit, one under the chin and one to the right  forearm. The deceased succumbed to his injuries and slumped over in the passenger seat of his bakkie. The suspect fled the scene on foot in the direction of Balhambra Way,” added Zwane.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to call Colonel Chris Wiles on 082 469 9336.

In a separate incident, video footage surfaced showing the fatal shooting of a Soweto taxi boss at a petrol station in Empangeni, KwaZulu-Natal last year.

WARNING: Extremely graphic content

In the video, Dumisani Mthethwa is seen standing next to a minibus taxi at the service station just after 5pm.

Two assailants suddenly walk up to Mthethwa and shoot him multiple times before fleeing.

According to police, the bullet-riddled body of Dumisani Mthetwa was found at the Engen garage in the central business district just before 6pm. He was declared dead on the scene.

– Caxton News Service