The case against three of the gang of twelve arrested in connection with the murder-rape attack in Rhodes Park, east of Johannesburg has been postponed in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court today.
Cleveland police spokesperson Constable Mpho Mashakane said: “Two men, accompanied by their girlfriends, were walking at the park in October last year when they were approached by the group of men.”
She added one man carried a firearm and a second man carried a knife.
The two men, who had visited the park with their girlfriends, were tied up with their clothes and thrown into the lake where they drowned.
“One of the suspects raped one female victim. The bodies of the two male victims, aged 25 and 32, were later found by police divers,” said Mashakane.
The suspects were arrested in Johannesburg towards the end of last year.
During the brief apeparance, Magistrate Lucas Van Der Schyff said the court would adjourn and wait the decision of the director of public prosecutions on whether Thabo Nkala, Edmor Ndlovu, Mduduzi Mathibela should appear at the South Gauteng High Court or again at the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on April 20.
The accused are still in police custody.
– Caxton News Service