Witness recalls teens drowning at Mossel Bay beach
The funerals of two pupils who died after reportedly being swept out to sea by a rip current at De Bakke Beach are expected to take place next week.
An eyewitness who was camping at De Bakke and witnessed the drowning tragedy of two teenagers from Mossel Bay described the scene as being terrible, reports the Mossel Bay Advertiser.
Bianca van der Merwe says the rescuers attempted to revive the 18-year-old Nqobile Ncikana on Saturday after bringing her out of the water, but after several minutes, a silver blanket was brought out, ‘signalling the worst’.
Although the circumstances surrounding the incident are not known, the teens reportedly got caught in a rip current.
Van der Merwe says rescue teams from the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) continued searching through the night for the 14-year-old Ayanda Sikhuphela.
The police divers and NSRI members found his body near the rocks the following morning, on Sunday.
Ayanda was a learner of Hillcrest Seconday School.
This week, his family described him as a bubbly and cheerful child who loved making jokes.
He had dreams of becoming a doctor and enjoyed boxing and playing soccer.
Nqobile attended Indwe Secondary School last year.
Her mother, Thobisa, says she had plans to attend college this year, for which she had already registered.
Both teenagers were members of the Ikhaya Boxing Club in Mossel Bay.
Their coach, Lazola Thole, says they were among the best in the club and highly competitive.
The funeral arrangements are under way.
Ayanda is to be laid to rest in Mossel Bay on May 9, while Nqobile will be buried in the Eastern Cape next weekend.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.mosselbayadvertiser.com