Video: National Coloured Congress leader to remain in custody
A court has ordered that MP Fadiel Adams remain in custody in a secure SAPS location until his bail application next week, as prosecutors cite concerns over his conduct and the ongoing investigation.
Fadiel Adams will remain in custody, in a safe and secure location, until his bail application in the Pinetown Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday (May 13).
Highway Mail reports that the Member of Parliament and leader of the National Coloured Congress made his first appearance in court today (May 7), where the state successfully petitioned the presiding officer to remand the bail application until next week.
The presiding officer said that though they had hoped to continue with the bail application on the day, a ‘pertinent factor that could change a lot’ came to their attention and so granted the state the remand.
The state prosecutor told the court that arrangements have been made for Adams, who is accused of defeating or obstructing the administration of justice and fraud, to be kept in custody but at a location known only to SAPS officials and the defence, for his safety due to the nature of the charges brought against him.
The state had submitted to the court that it would have been a ‘dereliction of duty’ and ‘irresponsible conduct’ to not request that the matter be remanded in light of Adams’ ‘attitude’ and ‘behaviour’ ahead of his arrest on Tuesday.

This, the state prosecutor told the court, related to Adams’ utterances during a press briefing when he referred to himself as a fugitive.
“Loosely translated, that means someone who is running from the law, that concerns us,” the state prosecutor told the court.
The state prosecutor added that it still needs time to obtain information, which will be placed before the court during the bail application, which reveals Adams’ past behaviour towards the courts and the criminal justice system, an instance involving alleged profanity.
Additionally, the state prosecutor said it was not an unreasonable request to have the matter remanded, considering allegations of Adams’ interference with state witnesses and the need to confirm his address.
Adams’ defence was opposed to the application for the matter to be remanded and told the court it was ready to proceed with the bail application on the day.
The defence questioned why the state was not ready to proceed with the application when it had been working on the matter for almost a year.
On the issue of addresses, the defence pointed out that Adams had been arrested at his parliamentary residence in Cape Town, which is guarded by SAPS members, and so his address is known.
The defence argued that Adams could not be labelled a ‘fugitive’ when, prior to his arrest, he had approached the high court for an order that the police provide him with a warrant for his arrest.
“So, he is not a fugitive from justice because he had turned to the courts,” said the defence.
The defence also argued that the allegations levelled against Adams were not of a violent nature, and that he could not have interfered with state witnesses when he only came to know of the exact charges a day before his arrest.
Adams, the defence told the court, would abide by any bail conditions and is willing to hand over his passport.
The allegations against Adams relate to the investigation into the murder of ANC Youth League leader Sindiso Magaqa.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.citizen.co.za