North-West University student burnt to death: Man sentenced to life
A man who held a woman captive for three days before dousing her with petrol and setting her alight will spend life behind bars.
Tinyiko Baloyi (41) was recently convicted and sentenced to life in prison and an additional 10 years in the High Court of South Africa, Gauteng Division.
Baloyi was charged with one count of kidnapping and one count of murder for his role in the abduction and fatal burning of a 21-year-old North-West University (NWU) student.
The court heard that on May 27 last year, Baloyi kidnapped Karabo Maluleke from the NWU’s Potchefstroom campus after suspecting that she was in another relationship.
He held her captive for three days at a guest house in Roodepoort, during which time her family and friends tried to contact her. When she was unreachable, they reported her missing.
On May 30, Baloyi drove Maluleke to an open field in Doornkop where he tied her hands and feet, doused her with petrol and burnt her to death.
Her charred body was discovered five days later in the field.
SAPS Warrant Officer Rabed Zwana traced the accused’s movements, discovering he had rented a car to fetch Maluleke from Potchefstroom and take her to the guesthouse.
After killing her, he returned the vehicle to the rental company. He then exchanged his phone for money at a taxi rank before fleeing to his home in Giyani, where he was eventually apprehended.
Baloyi pleaded guilty and testified in mitigation of sentence, citing that he co-operated with the law. He also said that he contributed to Maluleke’s well-being, including tuition fee payments and the provision of a laptop. He further offered an apology to the family.
Khensane Maluleke, the mother of the deceased, made an impact statement and described the harrowing circumstances surrounding her daughter’s brutal murder. She testified that the tragic loss had a profound impact on the entire family. She also said that she eagerly anticipated her daughter’s academic success, which would have transformed the family’s circumstances and improved their lives.
State Advocate Leswikane Mashabela stated that the accused’s heinous crimes warranted the severest sentence, as he had kidnapped and held her captive for three days, only to brutalise and murder her.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane said the NPA continues to prosecute gender-based violence cases with vigour as the safety and well-being of our communities remain paramount.
Read original story on www.citizen.co.za