Bitou council briefed on alleged gun incident involving deputy mayor
Council was briefed in private on the alleged gun incident involving Deputy Mayor Nokuzola Kolwapi who says the matter is with the NPA.
The matter concerning Bitou Deputy Mayor Nokuzola Kolwapi allegedly firing a gun at an umgidi ceremony for her son on December 21 last year was tabled for the first time on Friday at a council meeting.
According to the Knysna-Plett Herald, it served as an in-committee item and was not open to the public. Confirming the item, Bitou Speaker Mavis Busakwe said it ‘is about reporting to council of an incident that occurred in December 2025 as it was circulating on social media’.
She said the item was tabled before council ‘to notify the councillors of the incident’ and that this was the first step she had to follow in her capacity as speaker, in line with the code of conduct governing councillors.
She said she has followed section 5(1)(a) and (b) as well as (c) of the code.
“Progress thereof will be reported back to council.”
Report handled in committee
Busakwe said the reason the report was handled as an in-committee item ‘was as a result of the fact that the matter is also under the investigation by SAPS and other authorities’.
“It is always in the interest of the municipality to protect the work of other authorities and not compromise their work.”
Kolwapi says matter with NPA
Asked about other developments regarding the matter, Kolwapi said it was still with the NPA.
She spent over 30 minutes outside the meeting after recusing herself while the report was tabled.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.knysnaplettherald.com