4th suspect in e-hailing driver murder surrenders to Atteridgeville police

There has been a further development in the e-hailing driver murder case, with the fourth suspect set to appear in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court today.

A fourth suspect in the murder of an e-hailing driver handed himself over to police in Atteridgeville yesterday, reports Pretoria Rekord.

The suspect is expected to appear before the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court today, where he is likely to face charges of carjacking and murder.

This comes after the police confirmed the arrest of three additional suspects, aged 24, 25, and 30 for the murder of Isaac Satlat as well as robbery with aggravating circumstances.

The three accused, Dikeledi Tears Mphela (24), Goitsione Machidi (25), and McClaren Mushwana (30), appeared in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court yesterday, where they abandoned their bail application.

Machidi and Mushwana were arrested after investigations linked them to the crime, and they joined Mphela who was arrested on Friday.

NPA spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana said it is alleged that on February 11, the accused ordered e-hailing services using a mobile phone number that was not registered in their name.

“When the vehicle arrived, Mphela got into the vehicle, while the other two accused followed in a separate car. Mphela and her accomplice allegedly forced the victim to stop the vehicle, strangled him to death, and robbed him of his cellphone and vehicle, which was later recovered, added Mahanjana.

Mahanjana said the incident was captured by a camera installed in the vehicle, and the footage was circulated on social media.

Investigations by SAPS led to the arrest of Mphela on Friday and the other two accused were arrested on Sunday.

Mahanjana said the three had their matter postponed to February 23 for further investigations.

The fourth suspect, who cannot be named as yet, was arrested yesterday after he handed himself over to authorities.

This effectively brings the total number of suspects to four, all of whom are now all in police custody.

The quartet’s case dates back to February 11, when an e-hailing driver was allegedly killed while inside his vehicle in Pretoria West.

According to police spokesperson Colonel Mavela Masondo preliminary investigations suggested that the victim had been requested for a trip by a man and a woman in Pretoria West.

Colonel Masondo said the hijacked vehicle and the body of the victim were discovered in Atteridgeville on the same day of the incident.

The discovery of the car led to intensified investigations and a series of arrests in the days that followed.

Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Trott Chaane

Trott Chaane is a journalist at Pretoria Rekord, focusing on local news. With experience in audio editing and online news, Trott delivers well-researched and accurate articles. Dedicated to impactful journalism, he is passionate about growing in the field and making a difference.
Back to top button