The smoky, rich goodness of this sauce can’t be beaten. A wonderful weekday dinner.
10ml (2 tsp) butter
150g bacon, diced
250g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
30ml (2 tbsp) English mustard
10ml (2 tsp) Worcestershire sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
150 mozarella, grated + extra, to serve
50g cheddar, grated + extra, to serve
50ml fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped + extra, to serve
1. Preheat the grill to hot. Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the diced bacon until cooked and crispy. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in the English mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
3. Pour in 100ml beer and whisk to combine. Add the fresh cream and whisk well until smooth, about 3 minutes.
4. Gradually add the grated mozzarella and cheddar, and stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Stir in the parsley.
5. Cut two ciabatta loaves in half and place them on a baking tray. Spoon the sauce over. Sprinkle with extra mozzarella and cheddar, and grill until golden and bubbly.
6. Sprinkle with finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and serve hot with a crispy green salad.
Brought to you by Food and Home