Google took a look at which YouTube videos were watched the most in South Africa for the first quarter of 2014. Interestingly, quite a few South African YouTubers have made the list so far this year.
What’s the top-watched YouTube video in SA in 2014 so far? With the recent elections, it’s not surprising it has to do with politics. However, it is interesting that the video is that of President Jacob Zuma struggling to recite an important number in the video “Jacob Zuma 939 million 3000 and 60000”.
The “First Kiss” experiment, in which strangers are brought together to share a first kiss and their interaction and reaction filmed, has pulled at many people’s heartstrings – not only in SA, but globally as well.
Also popular was the declaration of love that moved many of its audience to tears through its beauty and emotion in “You – A Declaration of Love by Schwarzkopf Nectra Color”.
People come to South Africa from all parts of the world to experience the wildlife this country has to offer. Hence it’s no surprise that two of the top 10 movies watched in SA are wildlife-related.
Firstly, there’s the incredible video of a snake devouring a crocodile after a five-hour battle.
Secondly, the video of a Kruger National Park lion frightening children who were trying to capture the king of the park on camera made many viewers sit up and note how not to behave in a game reserve.
South African comedian Trevor Noah always seems to keep his YouTube audience in hysterics. The favourite skit for 2014 so far, online? “Service with a Smile”.
South African YouTube star Anton Taylor is another comedic personality who has made this list: his Valentine’s Day video is the most popular on his channel – and sums up how some “singles” feel on that much-hyped day.
The Oscar Pistorius trial has been the most searched topic on Google in South Africa since proceedings started in February 2014. Two of the videos on the top 10 list relate to the court case: one shows how similar a gun shot sounds to the banging of a cricket bat on a wooden door.
YouTube is also popular for the latest music video releases, with music clips being among the most watched each year. So far, 2014 has been no different – the likes of Beyonce, Shakira, Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus have made the top lists.
Top 10 videos watched in SA – January to March 2014
1. Jacob Zuma: 939 million 3 000 and 60 000
2. Caught On Camera: Snake Devours Crocodile After 5-Hour Battle
3. Lion Almost A ack (warn) Children Leaning out of Vehicle in Kruger National Park
4. First Kiss
5. You – A Declaration of Love by Schwarzkopf Nectra Color
6. Trevor Noah: It’s My Culture – Service with a Smile
7. Oscar Pistorius Animation: The night Oscar killed Reeva Steenkamp
8. I Hate Valentine’s Day
9. Oscar Pistorius Door: Cricket Bat v Gunshot Sounds – Analysis
10. Durban beachfront lifeguards harassing surfer
Top 10 music videos watched in SA – January to March 2014
1. Beyonce – Drunk in Love (Explicit) ft. Jay Z
2. Shakira – Can’t Remember to Forget You ft. Rihanna
3. Katy Perry – Dark Horse (Official) ft. Juicy J
4. John Legend – All of Me
5. Pitbull – Timber ft. Ke$ha
6. Beyonce – Partition (Explicit Video)
7. Eminem – The Monster (Explicit) ft. Rihanna
8. Beyonce – XO
9. Miley Cyrus – Adore You
10. Mike Will Made It – 23 (Explicit)