Add the show-stopping ingredient, rosemary salt, and you’ve got a vegetable dish from heaven!
EASY 30 mins
THE FLAVOUR COMBINATIONS
2 large aubergines
15ml (1 tbsp) Khoisan Sea Salt
cracked black pepper, to taste
100ml cooking olive oil
200g buffalo mozzarella, cut into thick slices
100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
30ml (2 tbsp) fresh rosemary
60ml (1/4 cup) Khoisan Sea Salt
HOW TO DO IT
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Remove the tops and bottom stems of the aubergines and cut into slices of about 2cm – 3cm thickness. Sprinkle with the 15ml (1 tbsp) Khoisan Sea Salt and some cracked black pepper.
2. Heat a large pan over medium heat, add 25ml (5 tsp) of the olive oil and fry the slices from one aubergine on both sides, turning only once, until nicely browned. Add another 25ml (5 tsp) olive oil when turning, as aubergines absorb a lot of oil. Repeat with the second aubergine.
3. Place the aubergines on a baking tray, top with the mozzarella slices and bake until the cheese is nicely melted and the aubergines have a creamy centre, about 10 minutes.
Leave the oven on.
4. To stack, place the largest aubergine slice at the bottom, followed by 1 or 2 sun-dried tomatoes. Repeat the process until the smallest slice is at the top and end off with a layer of sun-dried tomato. Return to the oven to warm through, 5 minutes.
5. Pull the rosemary leaves off the stalk and place on a wooden board with the 60ml (1/4 cup) salt. Chop it all together until the rosemary is fine and it is well combined. Sprinkle the stack with rosemary sea salt to serve.
You can also mix your herbs – try half thyme and half rosemary.