ANA
Premium Journalist
1 minute read
21 Feb 2017
10:43 pm

SABC drops ‘Come Dine With Me SA’

ANA

This after the show's rights holder withdrew their offer for the SABC to produce the show.

Photo: Supplied

The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) on Tuesday discontinued the production of South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) 3 programme ‘Come Dine With Me South Africa’.

‘Come Dine With Me’ is a British adaptation of a family programme in which complete strangers take turns hosting what their ultimate dinner party and score each other to win a cash prize for pulling out the most enjoyed party.

In a statement, SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said the broadcaster had been in negotiations with the rights holder, production house Rapid Blue, to showcase ‘Come Dine With Me South Africa’.

“However, the corporation was informed by the production company that they have subsequently withdrawn their offer for us to produce the show,” Kganyago said.

“The SABC would like to apologise to all South Africans who adhered to the call to action in anticipation that we would be producing the show.”

Kganyago said the SABC strives to have the best local television formats and further announcements of the shows replacement would follow.

During his reign at the SABC, disgraced chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng last year announced a concerted drive to rid the public broadcaster’s TV channels of its remaining international content, saying that the 90% local content quota announced for radio will now be extended to its TV channels.

– African News Agency

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.