ANA
Premium Journalist
1 minute read
15 Jan 2019
7:00 pm

Nersa cancels hearings on Eskom tariff application

ANA

'The public hearings have been cancelled due to the low public interest to present at the hearings,' Nersa said in a statement.

The National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) on Tuesday said it had cancelled two days of public hearings in Limpopo and the Northern Cape on Eskom’s tariff increase application for the next three years, after wrapping up hearings in Cape Town.

The hearings had been set down for Kimberley and Polokwane for January 21 and 31 respectively.

The cancellation comes after the hearings in Cape Town concluded early on Tuesday because only three out of scheduled number of 28 members of the public presented oral submissions to Nersa on the embattled power utility’s demand for an annual increase in tariffs of 15 percent for the next three years.

Monday saw pressure groups, among them the Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse (Outa) and the South African Faith Communities Environment Institute, argue in the hearings that Eskom’s operational model needed overhauling and that further tariff increases would cause dire harm to the general economy and the average South African consumer.

The hearings happened as it was reported that Eskom was expected to post of loss of more than R15 billion in the year to March 31.

– African News Agency (ANA)

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.