After numerous struggles local NPOs had in the past year to secure funding, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
This comes after the Gauteng Department of Social Development (DSD) MEC, Faith Mazibuko, has officially delivered appointment letters to approved non-profit organisations (NPOs) for the 2025/ 26 financial year, marking a significant step forward in the relationship between the department and the NPO sector.
Spokesperson for Mazibuko, Teddy Gomba, said this comes after previous challenges in NPO funding and tensions between the department and the sector.
ALSO READ: Gauteng Social Development finalises applications for NPO funding
He added that Mazibuko emphasised the department’s dedication to rebuilding and strengthening relationships through continued engagement and collaboration.
“We value the work that you do and public funds must be used for the intended services,” Gomba said.
“The Gauteng Treasury allocated R1.9b for NPO funding. Following a call for proposals issued on October 5 last year, the department received over 1 600 applications. Site visits were conducted between November and January to assess eligibility.
Despite a limited budget, the department prioritised funding for sectors including child services, elderly care, substance abuse prevention, crime prevention, youth development and, notably, services for persons with albinism and children with autism,” he explained.
ALSO READ: Join hands with Edenvale NPO to help local charities
Successful NPOs will soon sign Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with the Department. Mazibuko urged NPOs to begin their work promptly and warned that mismanagement of funds would lead to consequences.
“We expect strict compliance with all regulations,” she concluded.
Are you an NGO that will benefit or not? Speak to us by sending an email to randfonteinherald@caxton.co.za.