Speaking to Saturday Citizen yesterday, Eskom spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe said the system remained stable. “The good news is that the units that were taken offline at Mozambique’s Cahora Bassa recently, will be synchronised on Sunday afternoon, and we should be able to get full output again from the power station by Monday,” he said.
The power station in question, generates 1 500MW to South Africa’s national power grid. For over a month, load shedding was not implemented, but that changed earlier in the week, and according to Eskom, the Mozambique’s power station having to be taken offline for maintenance purposes as well as some local units going offline, led to load shedding. Eskom warned earlier in the week that the power system would be especially tight until tomorrow (Sun).
He said Medupi power station’s unit 6, which was recently opened by President Jacob Zuma, has been operating well with no faults reported.
Meanwhile, construction work at Kusile power station, continued for the second successive day after workers were told not to report for duty for safety reasons. One worker died while two others remain in hospital after crane collapsed earlier this week. “One worker has been moved to a general ward from ICU. “Everything is back to normal at Kusile and we have not had any issues since the tragic incident,” Phasiwe said. Investigations into the incident are ongoing.