“We cannot continue with what has been going on. We are now reclaiming the authority of the State of the Republic of South Africa,” Defence and Military Veterans Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa Nqakula said in Alexandra, east of Johannesburg, on Tuesday.
The minister announced the decision was made shortly after news broke that a Zimbabwean couple in Alexandra had been shot and wounded.
“Go and tell the ones who attacked this couple last night that we will find them. We will find them in the same way that we were able to apprehend the four who murdered Emmanuel Sithole over the weekend,” Mapisa-Nqakula said, thanking the local community for its help.
She promised those who had attacked the couple would be found before the end of the day on Tuesday.
“We cannot have the lumpenproletariat determining what is going to happen in this country and how this country is going to operate,” said Mapisa-Nqakula.
The minister would not say how many troops would be deployed to quell the three week old violence which has ripped through South Africa, displacing thousands and leaving seven dead.
The deployment of troops within South Africa’s borders is a stark reminder of the 2008 xenophobic attacks which left at least 50 foreign nationals dead.