National 29.10.2015 10:54 am

KZN municipal building receives bomb threat 

Police cordoned area. Picture: Neil McCartney

Police cordoned area. Picture: Neil McCartney

Investigations are under way after the Umzumbe Municipality in KwaZulu-Natal received a bomb threat yesterday.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Zandra Wiid said shortly after 1pm a report was received of a bomb threat at the municipality building, South Coast Herald reported.

“When police arrived with a sniffer dog, an item resembling a home-made petrol bomb was found and removed,” she added.

Wiid said police also opened a public violence case at Hibberdene police station as a group of people had gathered illegally and burned tyres outside the municipality this morning.

She added POP members, visible policing members, TRT and the K9 Unit were at the scene.

It is believed the unrest could be linked to the dispute involving iNkosi Bhekizizwe Luthuli, who allegedly tried to stop 85-year-old Morris Fynn’s burial, and also for “corruption”.

Last month, there was a bomb scare at the building housing The Star newspaper offices in Johannesburg, which also disrupted operations at the ANC’s headquarters at Luthuli House across the street.

ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa told The Citizen the Luthuli House building, the ruling party’s headquarters on Sauer Street, was evacuated.

“The bomb scare is not in our building but we are affected because of the proximity of the two buildings,” said Kodwa.

“Monday is an important day for us. The ANC officials get together for several meetings, including the National Working Committee,” he added.

– Caxton News Service

poll

today in print