Citizen
National 3.7.2014 10.00 am

Nat Nakasa’s SA reburial soon

Gladys Maphumulo sister to Nat Nakasa walks past to some of his photographs after the media briefing wich was held in Durban. Picture Phumlani Thabethe Date 02 July 2014
The remains of renowned anti-apartheid journalist, Nat Nakasa, who died in exile in New York more than five decades ago, will be reburied at his place of birth in Chesterville, Durban, in September, Minister of Arts and Culture Nathi Mthethwa said yesterday.

Speaking in Durban on the reburial arrangements, Mthethwa said the department was finalising plans for the smooth repatriation of the writer’s remains.

“He will be buried on September 13th at Heroes’ Acre in Chesterville. As a department we are doing everything in our power to ensure that the remains arrive in South Africa in August,” he said.

Nakasa, whose work and life titled A Native of Nowhere is currently being exhibited at the Old Court House Museum in Durban, left South Africa for exile in the US in 1964. He left on an exit permit after the apartheid government had refused to give him a passport to enable him to go to Harvard University where he had been awarded a Nieman Fellowship to study journalism.

He died a year later at the age of 28 after falling from a building in New York in an alleged suicide.

Iconic Generation

“He was part of the generation of iconic writers such as Henry Nxumalo, Can Themba, Casey Motsisi and others who were the pioneers of so-called ‘Black journalism’ in South Africa. They were the advocates of nation building and social cohesion who put their lives at risk chronicling authentic stories of their people,” Mthethwa said.

The return of his remains, Mthethwa said, was an opportunity to educate South Africans about the country’s painful past. A number of initiatives celebrating Nakasa’s life would be launched in the lead up to his reburial.

“The ideals that he espoused are the same ideals that South Africa is striving to achieve today. His work remains relevant in the present day society,” Mthethwa said.

Nakasa’s sister, Gladys Maphumulo, said the return of his remains was a fitting climax to a painful journey.

“We have been waiting for this for over 50 years and as a family we are extremely relieved that our valued family member will finally return.”

You might also like

Nat Nakasa reburied in Heroes Acre

Anti-apartheid journalist Nat Nakasa was reburied in Durban's Chesterville's Heroes Acre on Saturday, some 49 years after he was buried in a New York cemetery.... more ...

Senzo Mchunu, Sanef exec attend Nakasa memorial

KwaZulu-Natal Premier Senzo Mchunu and SA National Editors' Forum (Sanef) executive director Mathatha Tsedu were among those who attended the memorial service of anti-apartheid journalist Nat Nakasa in Durban on Saturday. ... more ...

Nakasa memorial attended by hundreds

Hundreds of people arrived at Durban's city hall for the memorial service of anti-apartheid journalist Nat Nakasa on Saturday. ... more ...

Malaysia in mourning as MH17 remains return home

Malaysia will drape itself in black for a national day of mourning Friday as it welcomes home the remains of 20 citizens killed on downed Flight MH17.... more ...

Nathi Mthethwa to bring back Nat Nakasa’s remains

Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa on Tuesday led a delegation to the US to bring back the remains of renowned anti-apartheid journalist Nat Nakasa, the department said.... more ...

Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Mandatory field