Louis du Preez, a father-of-two from Moreleta Park in Pretoria, spent a week in ICU at St Augustine’s Hospital in Durban until his death around 2am on Sunday, The Star reported on Tuesday.
Chairman of the Magnoalia Road Runners, of which Du Preez was a member, Tinus Marais said it was suspected Du Preez had an undetected viral infection that led to organ failure.
“Everyone thought he would get better,” he said.
Du Preez completed the race in under 11 hours. He ran the marathon as part of the ‘Sudan for Jesus’ charity initiative. He was one of the top five fundraisers for the group.
- Related Stories
- Live Report: Tunisia vs Equatorial ...
- Blow by blow: Congo vs DRC
- AFCON not a tragedy – Shakes
- Bafana Bafana miss flight
- Five standout Africa Cup of Nations ...
- Jali’s plea to supporters
- Blow by blow: Cameroon vs Cote ...
- Defensive play a let down: Furman
- Bafana have no regrets – Bernard ...
- Twitter reacts to Bafana’s Afcon ...
- Follow The Citizen
- Network News