A 39-year-old runner who collapsed in the final stretch of the Comrades Marathon has died in hospital.
Louis du Preez, a father-of-two from Moreleta Park in Pretoria, spent a week in ICU at St Augustine’s Hospital in Durban until his death around 2am on Sunday, The Star reported on Tuesday.
Chairman of the Magnoalia Road Runners, of which Du Preez was a member, Tinus Marais said it was suspected Du Preez had an undetected viral infection that led to organ failure.
“Everyone thought he would get better,” he said.
Du Preez completed the race in under 11 hours. He ran the marathon as part of the ‘Sudan for Jesus’ charity initiative. He was one of the top five fundraisers for the group.
- Related Stories
- Follow The Citizen
- Wits and Chippa in goalless draw
- Daniels comes to SuperSport’s rescue
- Hazard fires clinical Chelsea closer to ...
- Blow by blow: SuperSport United v ...
- Stars snatch late win over City
- Labbadia to launch Hamburg rescue ...
- Blow by blow: Polokwane City vs FS Stars
- Indonesia govt, FA in standoff as row ...
- Chelsea look to overcome Manchester ...
- Wenger warns Arsenal to expect Reading ...
- Network News