Jonas Makhubela, 24, was arrested by rangers in the Mjokwane section of the Kruger National Park on March 31 for trespassing and dehorning a white rhino, a Sapa correspondent reported.
The court heard that an accomplice managed to escape across the border into Mozambique with the rhino horn and the firearm used in the crime.
Makhubela was not asked to plead.
Prosecutor Isbet Erwee said this was one of the most gruesome poaching incidents as the suspects hacked off the rhino’s horn while it was still alive.
“The rangers had to euthanise it after the accused and his accomplice hacked off its face while dehorning it. It was still alive when the rangers found it.”
Erwee said the accused, after his arrest, led the rangers to the scene and pointed out where they left the rhino.
He was remanded in custody and the case was postponed to May 26 for further investigation.
- Related Stories
- Thulani Hlatshwayo out of Ghana clash
- Furman backs Bafana strikers depsite ...
- Blow by blow: Cameroon vs Guinea
- Atsu impressed by Bafana
- Blow by blow: Cote d’Ivoire vs ...
- How Bafana can qualify
- SA held by Senegal as Afcon dream fades ...
- Blow by blow: Bafana Bafana vs Senegal
- Last-gasp Gyan has Black Stars shining
- Blow by blow: Ghana vs Algeria
- Follow The Citizen
- Network News