- Share & Rate this article
- Related Stories
Jonas Makhubela, 24, was arrested by rangers in the Mjokwane section of the Kruger National Park on March 31 for trespassing and dehorning a white rhino, a Sapa correspondent reported.
The court heard that an accomplice managed to escape across the border into Mozambique with the rhino horn and the firearm used in the crime.
Makhubela was not asked to plead.
Prosecutor Isbet Erwee said this was one of the most gruesome poaching incidents as the suspects hacked off the rhino’s horn while it was still alive.
“The rangers had to euthanise it after the accused and his accomplice hacked off its face while dehorning it. It was still alive when the rangers found it.”
Erwee said the accused, after his arrest, led the rangers to the scene and pointed out where they left the rhino.
He was remanded in custody and the case was postponed to May 26 for further investigation.
- I sacrificed my life – Tongo ...
- Zola Tongo drilled on hit money
- Tongo quizzed on hitmen names
- Tongo admits to ‘mistakes’ ...
- Dewani court led through phone evidence
- Tongo knew nothing about helicopter ...
- Dewani seen with package in video
- Tongo thought Anni was two people
- Court shown footage of Dewani couple
- Dewani escort went to police
- Bafana to play in Senzo’s hometown
- Praise for PSL change of heart
- Golden Arrows on top
- Patosi back on track
- BREAKING NEWS: All Absa Premiership ...
- Bafana postpone squad announcement
- Fans blast Premier Soccer League
- Chiefs deny Zulu signing
- TKO semifinal dates, venues announced
- Moment of silence for Senzo
- Follow The Citizen
- Network News