The town of Bela Bela in Limpopo and surrounding areas were flooded on Thursday when a dam wall gave way, police said on Thursday.
“There is water all over Bela Bela, rescue efforts by the police and the municipality’s emergency services are underway,” said spokesman Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi.
Helicopters were used to rescue residents from the area. A nearby informal settlement was severely affected, with no injuries or deaths reported, Mulaudzi said.
Last week, the dam overflowed, sending waves of water into the streets and homes.
An elderly couple were washed away on Friday at the resort Klein Kariba outside Bela Bela when another dam gave way after persistent rains the past week.
They were swept away while swimming in an undercover pool.
The search for the 69-year-old woman continued. The body of her 74-year-old husband was found on Saturday.
Mulaudzi said the road between Bela Bela and Modimolle was filled with debris and was not suitable for use by motorists.
- Related Stories
- Follow The Citizen
- Tinkler heaps praise on Gabuza
- Pirates rout hapless CF Mounana
- SuperSport wallop AmaZulu
- Blow by blow: Pirates v CF Mounana
- Celtic stroll to fourth successive title
- Stars claim crucial win over Chippa
- Wits and Aces in entertaining draw
- Leicester striker Ulloa scores double ...
- Blow by blow: Wits vs Black Aces
- Siyabonga Nomvethe on his way out?