Over 200 illegal miners are believed to be trapped in an abandoned mine near Benoni on the East Rand, paramedics said on Sunday.
“Approximately 30 people are trapped towards the top of the old shaft and the rest down a steep tunnel,” ER24 spokesman Werner Vermaak said.
He said emergency services had been conducting operations around illegal mining in the area on Sunday when they heard the screaming from the abandoned mine.
Vermaak said they were able to speak to the people trapped near the top and there appeared to be no one injured there. However it was not known what condition the miners trapped in the tunnel were in.
By 12.30pm, Vermaak said emergency workers were waiting for mine rescue services to help them.
“Once they are freed medical workers will start to assess them and provide treatment where necessary.”
- Related Stories
- Follow The Citizen
- Injured Welbeck out of Italy friendly
- Wiggins set for Gent-Wevelgem
- Khune – I can go as far as 40
- Phiri delighted with “dream” debut
- Serero can’t sleep over Milan move
- Join us for a ‘Quiz Friday’ next ...
- Alexander lauds Bafana teammate Mokotjo
- Dunga delight as Brazil down France 3-1
- Tshabalala believes Chiefs can overcome ...
- Will Amajimbos get revenge over Mali?
- Network News