Over 200 illegal miners are believed to be trapped in an abandoned mine near Benoni on the East Rand, paramedics said on Sunday.
“Approximately 30 people are trapped towards the top of the old shaft and the rest down a steep tunnel,” ER24 spokesman Werner Vermaak said.
He said emergency services had been conducting operations around illegal mining in the area on Sunday when they heard the screaming from the abandoned mine.
Vermaak said they were able to speak to the people trapped near the top and there appeared to be no one injured there. However it was not known what condition the miners trapped in the tunnel were in.
By 12.30pm, Vermaak said emergency workers were waiting for mine rescue services to help them.
“Once they are freed medical workers will start to assess them and provide treatment where necessary.”
- Related Stories
- Follow The Citizen
- Tiger mauls abbot ‘by ...
- Barzagli headache for Juventus ahead of ...
- King Drogba chaired off
- Drogba, Ayew make emotional farewells
- West Ham-linked Bilic confirms leaving ...
- Kaizer Chiefs to speak on Khune, ...
- Mashaba blames PSL coaches
- Five of Bafana Bafana’s Lowest Moments
- English elite cast about in ...
- The five best Premier League games of ...