Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu will undergo a small surgical procedure later this week following his hospitalisation for a recurring infection.
“[Tutu] has continued to respond well to treatment in a Cape Town hospital for a recurring infection,” his family said in a statement.
“The archbishop will undergo a small surgical procedure on Wednesday to address the root cause of the infections.”
ALSO READ >> Desmond Tutu admitted to a Cape Town hospital
In expressing the family’s gratitude “to all who were holding the Archbishop in their prayers”, Tutu’s wife Leah said further updates on Tutu’s condition would be released through the media as appropriate.
In a previous update earlier this month, his family said Tutu responded well to the first 48 hours of treatment.
“The treatment is ongoing,” his daughter Thandeka Tutu-Gxashe said.
Tutu also expressed his deepest gratitude to all who had sent love and prayers since his admission to hospital.
“He was being cared for by an amazing team of doctors, nurses and hospital staff, and was very conscious of how fortunate he was, thanks to the generosity of his medical team, to be able to receive first-class treatment not available to most South Africans,” Tutu-Gxashe said.