- Share & Rate this article
- Related Stories
The actress is accused of allegedly stealing a packet of Panado tablets worth R17.90 at Checkers in Cresta Mall, Johannesburg.
She was originally detained at Linden police station, where she was released and warned to appear before the Randburg Magistrates Court.
The case was postponed earlier in January because the CCTV footage of the alleged shoplifting incident could not be transferred onto the defence team’s computer.
The actress walked up to court accompanied by her attorney and seemed calm and relaxed, dressed in jeans, a t-shirt and head scarf.
The proceedings took less than ten minutes and she used the back entrance to leave the court.
Both the defence and state asked the magistrate for postponement after going to view the video footage on Thursday morning.
The state asked for a postponement on the basis that the video footage seen by both the state and the defence was inconclusive and would not help the state make a decision on whether or not to go forward with the case.
According to Benedict’s attorney Jonathan Kaiser the footage did not show Benedict committing any crime, and that from the footage she could only be seen leaving the shop.
“The evidence that the state has is circumstantial,” said Kaiser.
Kaiser said that they would use this team to make a formal representation to the court to have the case dismissed.
“Because of the value of the alleged crime, it will surely be better not to proceed both for my client and that state,” said Kaiser.
Benedict who plays Akhona in the popular SABC 1 soapie will appear in Randburg Magistrates court again on 27 February.
- “Celebrity” Oscar doing well in ...
- Oscar verdict appeal not ruled out yet
- Cell door slams shut on Oscar info
- Oscar Pistorius ‘cried himself to ...
- End of the road for Oscar Pistorius ...
- ‘We don’t want ...
- Oscar sentence ‘carefully ...
- Oscar ‘largest news story in the ...
- Oscar processed and placed in cell
- No parole for Oscar – IFP ...
- Van Wyk eyes World Cup
- Telkom Knockout Fever
- Manchester Legends waiting on Safa
- Amazulu have a mountain to climb ...
- Wits and Supersport keen to get back to ...
- Mokoena ready for Sundowns
- Stars sidestep infighting queries
- Roger De Sa wary of Bucs backlash
- Bafana rise ten places in Fifa rankings
- We derailed the Gautrain – Madida
- Follow The Citizen