The 23-year-old father Marthinus Pelser will again appear at the Roodepoort Magistrates’ Court today in connection with the death of his six-month-old baby.
Pelser last appeared at the court on July 28 when the trial was postponed pending postmortem results and crime scene photographs, the Roodepoort Northsider reported.
Pelser was arrested on June 15 by Honeydew Police after a strenuous five-day-long manhunt.
READ MORE: Marthinus Pelser abandons bail application
During his first appearance in court on June 17, Magistrate Veena Crishna the State has classified the offence as Schedule 5. As a result, she advised Pelser to seek legal advice regarding the formal bail application.
Meanwhile, grandmother of the deceased six-month-old baby, spoke to the media for the first time since the tragedy.
The grandmother, known only as ‘Linda’, told the Record that last week detectives took another statement from the baby boy’s mom regarding a damning message Pelser wrote in a book before fleeing.
She also said detectives spent the whole weekend with the family and that she, Linda, signed her statement yesterday. Although known to the Record, the message can not be published yet, as it is as evidence in the trial.
Linda also said the detectives have finally received the autopsy report and that she was “glad they could see what was done to him (the baby)”.
– Caxton News Service