National 29.8.2016 12:50 pm

Telkom offers whistleblowers big bucks

Telkom

Telkom

‘We want to address cable theft, sabotage and damage to our network once and for all.’

In an effort to hunt down saboteurs targeting Telkom facilities and its infrastructure, the telecommunications giant has increased their reward payouts to R1 million for information leading to prosecution, Zululand Observer reports.

In a national statement released on Friday, Telkom’s group communication executive Gugulethu Maqetuka said that since the Communication Workers Union strike two weeks ago, the company had experienced a dramatic spike in acts of sabotage to their network, and that KwaZulu-Natal, Gauteng and Limpopo had been critically affected by network failures.

READ MORE: R500k offer to nail Telkom sabotage thugs

“This has had a dire impact on our services and resulted in 60 Telkom Street Distribution Cabinets being damaged,” said Maqetuka.

“We urge members of the public and our own employees who have any information or may know the identity of these criminals to contact our crime-reporting line on 0800 124 000 and become eligible for a cash reward.”

Maqetuka said investigations have already been launched and that the company expected arrests ‘shortly’.

– Caxton News Service

poll

today in print