National 24.8.2016 03:04 pm

Fraud case of Krugersdorp ‘dead man’ blown open

Photo: Supplied

Photo: Supplied

The state asked that the case be centralised and combined with the Krugersdorp triple-murder case. A mother and her son are suspects in both cases.

A packed courtroom anxiously waited for the 31-year-old man who faked his own death last year to take the stand in the Krugersdorp Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

He remains unnamed, as he has yet to plead to the charges against him, Krugersdorp News reported.

Two additional suspects made their way up the stairs. One of them was Leroux Steyn, one of the suspects in the case of the murders of three Krugersdorp residents in May.

READ MORE: Triple-murder bail hearing postponed

Steyn is the son of the 50-year-old high school teacher who was arrested in July.

The teacher and her friend had also made their first appearance in July in connection with the case of the man who ‘died’ in an incident in 2015 that has subsequently evolved into a R3.6-million life insurance fraud case.

The three men stood shoulder to shoulder, and the courtroom heard the additional charges being added to the case.

The third suspect is a 41-year-old male who was arrested last week. He can also not be named, as he has not pleaded to the charges against him.

He is also expected to be added to the triple murder case in due course.

Steyn, who is accused number four in the triple murder case, has charges piling up against him, which include fraud, conspiracy to murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, murder, possession of illegal firearms and possession of illegal ammunition.

He indicated that he already had legal representation, who will also represent him in the second case.

The ‘dead man’ indicated he would make use of a private attorney to represent him.

The state again asked that the case be postponed and for it to be centralised, that is, be combined with the Krugersdorp triple murder case, since new suspects have been added to the case.

Although Victor da Silva, Steyn’s legal representative, argued that the accused have the right to a speedy trail, Magistrate Page granted the postponement.

“You will remain in custody and no bail has been set,” Page said.

– Caxton News Service


today in print