National 24.8.2016 11:33 am

Inside job suspected in Pretoria East break-ins

Police tape cordons off the crime scene where an Egyptian suspect killed an elderly couple and their two granddaughters in the village of Ketermaya, 25 kms (15 miles) southeast of Beirut, on April 30, 2010. Lebanese officials denounced the lynching of the murder suspect, identified as Mohammed Muslem, by an angry mob who hung his body on a pole with a butcher's hook in a shocking crime described as barbaric. AFP PHOTO/JOSEPH EID (Photo credit should read JOSEPH EID/AFP/Getty Images)

Police tape cordons off the crime scene where an Egyptian suspect killed an elderly couple and their two granddaughters in the village of Ketermaya, 25 kms (15 miles) southeast of Beirut, on April 30, 2010. Lebanese officials denounced the lynching of the murder suspect, identified as Mohammed Muslem, by an angry mob who hung his body on a pole with a butcher's hook in a shocking crime described as barbaric. AFP PHOTO/JOSEPH EID (Photo credit should read JOSEPH EID/AFP/Getty Images)

The residents say complex management has not done anything to tackle their security concerns.

Equestria residents in Pretoria have expressed their anger over the recent string of burglaries, suspecting it to be inside job.

Three houses were broken into on Friday, and two more during the week, Rekord East reported.

A sixth house in Bishop Creek was broken into at the weekend, where TVs and jewellery were stolen.

Resident Anneline Abbott said the burglars simply vanished after committing the crimes, giving rise to the suspicion that they were insiders.

“They were being chased after trying to break into a unit,” she said.

Burglars broke into three units at about 8pm on Friday evening and took electrical appliances and jewellery.

A woman reported that her husband’s ashes were stolen during the robbery.

“They took my television set and a box full of jewellery and another that had my husband’s ashes. He was cremated last year,” said Annatjie de Bryn.

The residents said complex management had not done anything to tackle their security concerns.

The Rekord inquiry was met with a “no comment” from complex manager Daniel Griessel.

“I can’t comment at this stage, and the chairperson is also not available for comment.”

It was claimed that burglars had tried to break into another house on Friday but ran away after the people inside the house raised the alarm.

Police spokesperson Captain Jan Sepato said police were still searching for two men in connection with a house robbery at the same complex.

Two men robbed three houses on August 11, and stole electrical appliances, jewellery, a laptop and cellphones.

Sepato urged anyone with information on the matter to come forward, and sought to assure the victims that the police were doing their best to catch the culprits.

Residents had expressed dissatisfaction with the police investigation.

– Caxton News Service

poll

today in print