The KFC outlet in Birchleigh, on the East Rand, will be temporarily shut down after a fire ravaged the takeaway premises, reportedly caused by a deep fryer.
According to Ekurhuleni emergency services spokesperson William Ntladi, the fire started in one of the deep fryers with an oil capacity of 9.2 litres at about 2pm, Kempton Express reported.
“On arrival, the structure was well alight, but our firefighters contained and extinguished the blaze without much further damage,” said Ntladi.
He said prior to the arrival of the firefighters, staff members tried to extinguish the blaze, but it got out of hand.
“Part of the roof and deep fryers were damaged. The rest of the structure and kitchen equipment suffered smoke and water damage,” said Ntladi.
According to Doug Smart, managing director of KFC Africa, the company is working with authorities to assess the damage and determine the next steps.
– Caxton News Service