Two regional executive committees of the African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL), including one in President Jacob Zuma’s home town, have become so dysfunctional that the organisation has disbanded them.
Speaking at a press conference in Durban on Thursday, ANCYL secretary in KwaZulu-Natal‚ Thanduxolo Sabelo, said the branch in the Abuqulusi Region was so dysfunctional it may have contributed to the African National Congress (ANC) not winning control of the municipality with the same name.
Sabelo would not reveal what exactly the problems were at Abaqulusi and the Musa Dladla Region of the league, except to say that there had been infighting. He said that provincial structures had been aware of the problems at the two regions for some time, but had not been able to take action earlier.
“If we had done it before the election, you would have been on us,” Sabelo said. He added the media would have used such a decision to disband the affected regional executive committees to claim that the ANC was imploding.
Sabelo made the revelations as he reported to media on the outcome of a meeting of the ANCYL’s KwaZulu-Natal provincial executive committee (PEC). He said that the PEC believed that the ANC had performed well in KwaZulu-Natal during last week’s recent local government elections, but that there were areas of concern.
The youth league, he said, rejected any assertions that Zuma was responsible for the “disappointing” performance of the ANC in other parts of the country.
“President Jacob Zuma cannot be used as a scapegoat. The President cannot be blamed for local service,” he said, adding that the youth league rejected any calls for his resignation ahead of the completion of his term of office. He said that he believed that the party had done reasonably well in eThekwini despite the fall in support from 61% in 2011 to 57% in 2016.
He said that conflict over the events leading to the party’s regional conference as well as ANC supporters simply abstaining from voting had hampered its performance in the metro.
The briefing by Sabelo was almost upstaged by a walkout of journalists and cameramen who were unhappy at being kept waiting for a little over an hour.
However, Sabelo arrived as the walkout started and he persuaded the unhappy media contingent to stay. He apologised for the delay.
– African News Agency (ANA)