National 10.8.2016 07:20 pm

Gauteng ANC still licking its wounds

The crowd sit and listen during the ANC manifesto launch in Port Elizabeth earlier this year. Photo: Gallo Images / City Press / Lucky Nxumalo.

The crowd sit and listen during the ANC manifesto launch in Port Elizabeth earlier this year. Photo: Gallo Images / City Press / Lucky Nxumalo.

The provincial executive committee said it met on Monday to assess the outcome of the local government elections.

The Gauteng executive committee on Wednesday expressed concern with the below 50% of the vote the governing African National Congress received in the province during the municipal elections. It also dropped to way below 50% in the key metro of Nelson Mandela Bay.

The provincial executive committee (PEC) said it met on Monday to assess the outcome of the local government elections.

“The PEC is concerned that in the City of Ekurhuleni, City of Joburg, City of Tshwane and Mogale City Local Municipality, the ANC did not receive more than 50% of the votes. The PEC resolved that in the six municipalities where the ANC received more than 50% of votes, governments must be constituted without any delay,” the PEC said in a statement.

Talks between political parties to form councils in the countries hung municipalities continued after the announcement of this year’s local polls by the Electoral Commission of SA (IEC).

The main opposition party, the Democratic Alliance, wrested the Eastern Cape’s Nelson Mandela Bay from ANC control. The party also obtained more votes in Tshwane.

The parties needed to form coalitions within 14 days of the announcement of the election results.

– African News Agency (ANA)

poll

today in print