The eThekwini Municipality is deeply concerned about the violent public protests which took place in the City earlier this week, where protesters shut down part of the N2 on Sunday and on Monday, reports Northglen News.
Residents of Ward 29 burned tyres and, in some cases, stoned cars on Monday, causing massive traffic backlogs.
(Update) Protest Action: N2 Southbound after EB Cloete I/C; Right lanes open; Expect delays. pic.twitter.com/932mgrejMm
— i-traffic KZN (@i_trafficKZN) August 7, 2016
According to eThekwini spokesperson, Tozi Mthethwa, investigations revealed the protests were due to a recent demolition of informal dwellings in the area.
“We encourage those that have grievances to continue to engage with the municipality. The City will engage with ward councillor, Mveli Mthembu, in order to address the concerns raised by the protesters. The situation is under control. Safety measures, such as CCTV cameras, are in place to monitor the movements of vehicles and to ensure that further traffic disruption is minimised,” he said.
Mayor Cllr James Nxumalo said eradicating illegal structures required a joint effort from all stakeholders.
Nxumalo added while he acknowledged that people are free to exercise their constitutional rights by voicing their concerns, they should not injure others or vandalise infrastructure.
“Residents should express their concerns in a peaceful and legally permissible manner without damaging property, injuring law-abiding citizens or blockading roads, thus preventing others from going to school and work,” he said.
No protest action has been reported on the morning of August 10.
N2: Northbound, accident on bottom end of Twini Hill. Right lane affected. Also expect delays on southbound carriageway.
— ECR's Traffic Guy (@jvbtrafficguy) August 10, 2016
– Caxton News Service