The national department of health acknowledged on Monday that it received the letter from Dr Sydney Essien and would be “investigating the matter”, Pretoria East Rekord reports.
The department said it would speak to the Gauteng health department as they are responsible for his dismissal.
Cardiologist Sydney Essien wrote to Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi to ask him to administer the injection.
The department acknowledged that it received the letter and would be “investigating the matter”. It said it would speak to the Gauteng health department.
Essien said he was now living in the streets of Moreleta Park after he lost his home over nonpayment.
The provincial department said it fired the doctor in 2013 for absconding from work.
He disputed this saying he had been booked off sick and claimed the department was aware of his medical condition.
The doctor told the Rekord he was not given a dismissal letter but was simply locked out. The department made substantial and illegal deductions from his salary, he said.
“The department repeatedly, unfairly and unlawfully deduct, deny, recall, withdraw and/or steals from my monthly salary, without any prior notification, consent or mandatory written administrative approval,” Essien wrote.
He said his troubles with the department began after he had questioned these deductions.
But the Gauteng department maintained the money deducted from his salary was as a result of his absence from work without a reason.
The absence of a resolution to Essien’s complaints has resulted in the doctor wishing to end his life.
National department spokesperson, Popo Maja said: “The department is investigating the matter with the aim of finding a favourable outcome in the interest of the public health sector.”
He said Essien should try the private sector because he was qualified and there was no reason he could not be employed elsewhere.
– Caxton News Service