The trial of the alleged killers of Louis du Toit was abandoned on Monday in the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria after a state witness was killed before he could testify.
The family of the murdered Du Toit was distraught after the news that his alleged killers would walk free, Pretoria Moot Rekord reported.
Louis was shot and killed in Pretoria West last year in March.
Meanwhile state witness Lucky Mnisi was killed last week before he could testify, according to Netti Du Toit, the mother of Louis. Netti told Rekord on Friday the family feels helpless after the court ruling.
“We heard in court the state witness [Mnisi] was shot and killed last Friday in Marikana. After the announcement, we were told the case was withdrawn because the state did not have a case anymore,” she said.
Netti said she and her husband, Louis senior, couldn’t believe the ruling.
“We were shocked and I thought I was watching a film. It seems there’s no justice for my son. We have faith in the police that they will keep up with their investigations but we still feel empty that the killer has not been caught yet,” said Netti.
According to the police, Louis was on his way from Pretoria Chicken and Meat wholesale in Pretoria West to the bank to deposit an undisclosed amount of money. When he reached his car, he was attacked and shot dead by three armed men.
The men fled with the money in a red Toyota Corolla which was later found abandoned on Bremer Street in Pretoria West.
Two of the three men have since been arrested in connection with the murder but one is still on the run.
Police said Mnisi had information that could have assisted them to arrest the third attacker.
– Caxton News Service