National 2.8.2016 08:06 am

O’Sullivan back in the dock

FILE PICTURE: Paul O'Sullivan. Picture by Michel Bega

FILE PICTURE: Paul O'Sullivan. Picture by Michel Bega

Despite the state’s concerns that the PI might never return to SA, he was back from the UK two weeks ago already.

Forensic investigator Paul O’Sullivan is expected to appear in the Kempton Park Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

He was arrested in April when he tried to leave the country using his Irish passport. He faces charges of contravening the Citizenship Act, intimidation, forgery and extortion.

In July, the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (the Hawks) told the court that O’Sullivan was arrested because he was thought to be a flight risk owing to information he sent out in an email suggesting he was preparing to go into exile.

KwaZulu-Natal-based Hawks Colonel Amod Hoosen told the court he was put on the case because he was seen as neutral and independent and had no connection to O’Sullivan.

Advocate Barry Roux, for O’Sullivan, said the private investigator was arrested at OR Tambo airport in Johannesburg as he was about to leave for the United Kingdom, where he was to have a press conference to expose high-level corruption in South Africa.

O’Sullivan, who was with his family, was found with three passports at the time of his arrest. He was accused of violating section 26B of the Citizenship Act.

Roux had argued that the arrest was done in order to prevent the press conference from taking place.

However, Hoosen agreed O’Sullivan said he was going to London, but he disputed the reason for travelling there. Hoosen denied there was any planned press conference.

Roux told the court that it wasn’t true that O’Sullivan said in his email that he was going into hiding or exile.

Hoosen accused O’Sullivan of carrying out illegal surveillance on people and having more than one passport to enable him to flee the country.

Last month the court allowed the forensic investigator to travel to London to celebrate his daughter’s birthday. O’Sullivan returned to South Africa just over two weeks ago.

– African News Agency (ANA)


today in print