National 29.7.2016 09:31 pm

‘Hack and kill all whites’ EFF candidate disqualified

If the EFF now happens to win the ward concerned on Wednesday, a by-election will need to be held later.

Late on Friday, the Electoral Court found in favour of the IEC’s request to bar from the elections EFF candidate Thabo Mabotja, who was registered to contest Ward 7 in Tshwane on Wednesday.

He allegedly wrote on Facebook that all white people needed to be hacked and killed.

The screenshot of the alleged Facebook post.

The screenshot of the alleged Facebook post.

The IEC made its case in court that the EFF had already distanced itself from Mabotja, and therefore there was no reason why he should be allowed to stand in a country that was diametrically opposed to the hate speech Mabotja is believed to have expressed.

Advocate Leah Gcabashe said he should not be elected “at this stage” in South African politics to represent South Africans at municipal level.

EFF leader Julius Malema said on Thursday that Mabotja’s post was illegal and “he is on his own”.

Gcabashe said that went to the gravity of the post. The IEC also wanted him to retract his statement publicly.

The court agreed, meaning that if the EFF happens to win Ward 7, the Electoral Commission will have to run a by-election to get a valid candidate installed.

In a separate case from earlier this year, another man who took to Facebook to call for the “cleansing” of white people from South Africa has been reinstated in his provincial government job after being suspended on full pay.

In the wake of Penny Sparrow comparing black people to monkeys, Velaphi Khumalo took to Facebook in January to write: “We must act as Hitler did to the Jews. I don’t believe any more that the is a large number of not so racist whit people. I’m starting to be sceptical even of those within our Movement the ANC. I will from today unfriend all white people I have as friends from today u must be put under the same blanket as any other racist white because secretly u all are a bunch of racist f**k heads. as we have already seen [all sic],” he wrote.

The department of sport and recreation in Gauteng gave him a final warning and he is back in his job as a sports marketer.

poll

today in print