The DA announced on Friday that it had lodged complaints with in Electoral Commission of South Africa over incidents of violence and intimidation it claims were orchestrated by the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal.
The DA’s eThekwini mayoral candidate Haniff Hoosen said in a statement released on Friday that a list of complaints had been lodged with the province’s chief electoral officer, Mawethu Mosery, on Thursday.
He said that they had been joined by the Economic Freedom Fighters and the Inkatha Freedom Party in handing over a list of complaints.
“This past weekend, the DA’s provincial leader, Zwakele Mncwango, Msunduzi mayoral candidate and deputy leader Mergan Chetty and dozens of DA activists were prevented from entering and campaigning in Mbali Township in Msunduzi. ANC members hurled bricks at the passing DA motorcade and one ANC member brandishing a chainsaw attempted to attack DA members and caused damage to the vehicle of the mayoral candidate,” he said.
Hoosen said that a number of other incidents had been reported to Mosery. These included blocking access to campaigning, death threats against DA members, the assault of a DA supporter in Umzimkhulu and the defacing of DA posters.
“Most of these cases have been reported to the SA Police Service but to date no action has been taken against a single member of the ANC,” he said.
Mosery confirmed that the DA, along with the IFP and the EFF, had visited him to lodge complaints against “a certain political party”.
“I told them they must supply us with as much concrete details as possible,” Mosery said.
ANC spokesman Mdumiseni Ntuli, speaking at a press conference on Thursday, said he was not aware of any acts of intimidation by the ANC, as had been claimed by the DA.
He pointed to the fact that some 10 members of the ANC had been killed in the run-up to the elections.
– African News Agency (ANA)