National 28.7.2016 03:00 pm

Gas leak puts workers in hospital

A gas meter.

A gas meter.

It is believed that there was a gas leak in a building, leaving 20 patients with varying degrees of illness and injury.

Approximately 20 workers were transported to hospital after an industrial accident at a business in Elandsfontein in Johannesburg on Thursday morning, Bedfordview and Edenvale News reports.

Just after 10am multiple Emer-G-Med and Netcare 911 vehicles were dispatched to the business.

It is believed that there was a gas leak in a building and the gas was inhaled by the workers, leaving up to 20 patients with varying degrees of illness and injury.

Paramedics worked on the scene to triage and stabilise the patients, before they were rapidly transported to various nearby hospitals for further management, some of which were under advanced life support care.

Local authorities are on the scene to investigate and fix the source of the leak.

Residents in Roodepoort, on the West Rand, were evacuated from their residential complexes and houses when gas started leaking from a Sasol pipe after a suspect attempted to steal equipment last month.

At about 4pm on a Sunday, various branches of the Roodepoort CPF received a call on the Roodepoort Sector 3 radio system about a possible leak near Battery Centre on Sonop Street in Horison.

Without delay Horison, Horizon View, Ontdekkers Park South and Tornado block watch members rushed to the scene to verify it.

After half an hour residents were allowed to return to their homes.

“Hundreds of lives could potentially have been lost if it were not for the brave acts by members of the block watches, CPF, Metro Police, Fire and police. As chairman of Roodepoort CPF I salute you,” said Vieira.

Caxton News Service 

poll

today in print