National 28.7.2016 11:16 am

‘Hyena boy’ goes home

Erco Janse van Rensburg. Photo: Maroela Media

Erco Janse van Rensburg. Photo: Maroela Media

Centurion teen Erco ‘Boela’ Janse van Rensburg, recently mauled by a hyena, has been discharged from hospital.

A Centurion boy recently mauled by a hyena has been discharged from hospital.

Erco “Boela” Janse van Rensburg went home last week Wednesday, his grandfather Basie Smalberger said.

“He is back home and doing well. He is getting on fine,” Smallberger told Rekord.

Janse van Rensburg had spent a month in the intensive care unit (ICU) of the Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg.

He was asleep in a tent with his parents at the Crocodile Bridge camp in the Kruger National Park when he was attacked on June 26. He woke up at about 4pm with the hyena’s jaws around his head.

Janse van Rensburg was admitted to ICU shortly after the attack where he underwent reconstructive surgery that lasted 10 hours. Doctors could not, however, save his left eye.

“He still needs more medical examinations,” said Smalberger.

Earlier this month, Janse van Rensburg urged the public to respect nature and wild animals.

“Don’t do stupid things. Please do not feed wild animals and do not underestimate wild animals and nature. Respect nature,” he said.

Caxton News Service

poll

today in print