National 27.7.2016 08:25 am

SABC shuts out reinstated journalists

The journalists showing up for work on Wednesday morning at the SABC. Picture: Twitter screenshot

The journalists showing up for work on Wednesday morning at the SABC. Picture: Twitter screenshot

The broadcaster believes it does not need to abide by the Labour Court’s ruling since it is lodging an appeal.

The four journalists who were reinstated to their jobs on Tuesday morning by Labour Court Judge Robert la Grange will not find themselves welcome at the SABC in Auckland Park on Wednesday.

The national broadcaster’s legal team sent their union‚ Solidarity‚ a letter saying they would appeal the judgment.

The letter said they “may not report for duty”.

Solidarity chief executive Dirk Hermann published a copy of the letter on Twitter.

He tweeted a picture of them showing up for work, where they were not welcome.

Solidarity said it intended to issue papers on an urgent basis on Wednesday to get the “SABC 4” back to work pending the appeal.

The judge found that no disciplinary actions against them would be legal, and could not take place. He interdicted the SABC from taking any action against them.

Tuesday morning’s ruling was yet another legal setback to the SABC with chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng at the helm. The two SABC staff members who fired the journalists will also have to write motivations in the form of affidavits for why they should not be held personally liable for the legal costs.

It has been estimated that the costs are so far more than R1 million, and are now likely to rise.

poll

today in print