THE FLAVOUR COMBINATIONS
1,5kg beef short ribs, cut thickly
1 bottle Mrs H.S. Ball’s Chutney
1 x 400g tin tomato pure
4L (16 cups) Coca-Cola
150ml Worcestershire sauce
1/2 x 700ml bottle tomato sauce
1 x 400g tin apricot jam
15ml (1 tbsp) white wine vinegar
25ml (5 tsp) paprika
2 chillies, finely chopped (optional)
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
HOW TO DO IT
1. Boil the ribs in a large pot of salted water, making sure the ribs are fully covered, 40 minutes.
2. While boiling the ribs, combine all of the sauce ingredients in a separate large pot, bring to a boil and allow to simmer, 20 minutes. Keep stirring the sauce every now and again, so that it does not burn on the bottom of the pot.
3. Remove the ribs from the water and add to the Coca-Cola mix. Boil the ribs in this sauce for a further 40 minutes, then remove the ribs carefully from the pot and allow to cool.
4. Simmer the remaining sauce until it reduces to a consistency that will stick to the back of a spoon. This can take quite a while, so be patient. Preheat the oven to 200˚C.
5. Place the ribs in a baking tray and pour over the reduced sauce until the ribs are covered completely. Place in the oven and cook until sticky, 15 minutes.
For smoky, sticky ribs, finish these on the braai. And make extra! They are very popular with children and adults alike.