National 26.7.2016 11:25 am

KZN emergency services kept busy with rescues

Photo: Supplied

Photo: Supplied

McKenzie urged motorists to be careful, with the search for a missing woman continuing.

Emergency services in KwaZulu-Natal were kept busy as heavy rains lashed the coast and cold weather froze the province’s interior.

In Durban there were numerous reports of streets and houses being flooded, but there were no reports of any fatalities resulting from the floods.

“Emergency services have had a busy 24 hours. Starting with snow yesterday (Monday) morning and then flooding in the afternoon and evening,” Robert Mckenzie, spokesman for the KwaZulu-Natal provincial Emergency Medical Service, said on Tuesday.

“At this stage, fortunately no fatalities have been confirmed as a result of the flooding, which affected areas in the Ilembe district (on KwaZulu-Natal’s north coast) down into the Ugu district (on the KwaZulu-Natal south coast).”

McKenzie said that several rescues were carried out when cars were washed away.

“One such incident was on the south coast where a family of three were swept off a bridge. They had to swim several kilometres downriver to find a place to safety get out of the water,” he said.

McKenzie urged motorists to be careful, even though the rains had abated with intermittent showers and light rain being reported.

ER24 spokesman Russell Meiring said that two women, who found themselves trapped on the first floor of a building that was flooded, had to be rescued on Tuesday night.

The eThekwini Metro Municipality was expected to issue a statement later on Tuesday on the damage caused by the floods.

A statement issued by municipal spokeswoman Tozi Mthethwa late Monday night said a number of people were left homeless. KwaMashu appeared to be the worst-affected area.

One woman was also reported missing in Durban’s Glen Anil suburb last night. Kyle van Reenen, spokesman for Marshall Security, said that a 62-year-old woman was reported missing after her car was found on Glen Anil Street.

“It is believed the vehicle experienced mechanical breakdown during heavy rain fall. She last made telephonic contact at approximately 6pm and has not [been] heard from since,” he said.

He said sniffer dogs had been called in to assist with the search for the missing woman. Her phone, handbag and other personal belongings had been found.

– African News Agency (ANA)


today in print