National 26.7.2016 11:26 am

Burnt doctor out of hospital

Paramedics responded quickly to treat the injured doctor, but very little of the house could be saved. Photo: ER24

Paramedics responded quickly to treat the injured doctor, but very little of the house could be saved. Photo: ER24

This after the top floor of his house was destroyed when a gas heater exploded.

The Centurion doctor who was left in a critical condition after his house caught fire two months ago has been discharged from hospital.

Emmanuel Musa Sithebe, 57, was badly burnt when a gas heater in his house exploded on the morning of May 17, Rekord Centurion reported.

His brother, Hlabane, said Sithebe was discharged last week.

“He is rehabilitating and slowly getting better. He goes to hospital regularly for wound care,” Hlabane told the Rekord on Monday.

Hlabane said his brother, who was admitted to Unitas hospital, underwent several skin grafts.

The top floor of his house in Brooklands 3 Estate in Kosmosdal was destroyed when a gas heater exploded.

ER24 spokesperson Russel Meiring said the house was alight when paramedics from ER24, Orange Fox medical unit and firefighters arrived.

“ER24 paramedics assessed the man and found he had sustained serious burn wounds to his face and chest, which he was treated for,” said Meiring.

His wife and children escaped unharmed.

Sithebe is a general practitioner at 1 Military Hospital in Pretoria.

Hlabane, an orthopaedic surgeon at Mediclinic Pretoria, said the family was still traumatised by the incident.

“The family is fine but still trying to cope with what happened,” said Hlabane.

Read more: Burnt doctor kept partially sedated

Centurion doctor in critical condition after fire

– Caxton News Service

poll

today in print